Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Go Nude! But Don't Forget to Wear Really Great Shoes!

I often refer to matters of the heart and spirit when speaking about my raison d'etre. I appreciate the depth and substance of a life lived with contemplation and a devotion to wisdom. Philosophy, Art, History, Politics, Social Justice, ...Yes please! I love deep thinking. I love exploring the intricate layers of the human mind. I love things that stir my senses to the inner core and energize a more pure way of being. But I have got to admit, some days should be reserved for mindless, superficial, good fun!

Every so often, I find myself in DIRE need for one of those days. It usually begins with browsing some of SF's finest fashion boutiques. If you know me well, you know that I can transition between talking about Sartre and shoes rather easily. Today I found myself in Gimme Shoes. I feel at home there, not just for the fact that all the sales associates know me by name, ha, but being in a space of well- made, sexy, awesome shoes, puts me at ease. I feel a feng shui of my energy while spending time in Gimme, and I feel damn good.

What is it about shoes that I ADORE? I believe it began when I was in grade school. I found wearing the Catholic school uniform, um, stifling. My shoes were the one and only aspect of my attire that I could choose. Shoes were my means of individual expression. There is an experience that is created around shoe shopping. Some of my most vivid memories of spending a summer in Italy when I was 16 are held within those lovely little Italian shoe boutiques. The smell of quality leather, the organic craftsmen ship of a pair of handmade shoes, the qualities of earthy and feminine colliding into a perfect pair of heels... Oy vey! Over the years, my shoe collection has become an expression of my experiences, my travels, and my evolution as a woman.

So yes, shoes may be my vice, because it is likely that I like shoes a little more than I should. Most days I'd say give me truth or give me death, but some days, it's just gimme shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment