Saturday, May 15, 2010

Never Follow a Recipe!


"Never follow a recipe," is a saying I use when it comes to more than just cooking. However, the saying did originate in my kitchen back when my husband and I were just dating. He couldn't understand why I never used a cook book or followed a recipe. It wasn't that I was against following recipes, but I guess for me there was no purpose in doing something when the process was controlled and BORING. I wasn't after creating a masterpeice, I was after the experience of my own creation, my own trials and errors. The term "Never follow a recipe" now applies to so much more. It is easy for us to follow the path of those who have gone before us. In my husband's case, this is the wise choice. You avoid error and you know where you're going to end up. Somehow for me, this was never quite exceptable. The process of life is the joy of discovery. "It's the journey, not the destination," as "they" say.

Not to discredit the wisdom that we can learn from those who come before us. There is an ocean of ancient wisdom that deserves much credit and respect. From this we can build ourselves a foundation of understanding. By doing this we give ourselves the tools to be better craftsmen of our own life. So, allow me to put it this way. Nourish your mind and soul with wisdom and grace and from there allow your own spirit to carve the way, afterall the world is always in search of new recipes:)

No comments:

Post a Comment